Just as you are drifting off to sleep, plink. What? Did you hear anything? And so, you lie back and wait, listening for...what may be or was it your imagine a...plink. Nope. No imagination. One of the problems with hearing drips in the middle of the night, is that they are difficult to place and they never disappear on their own. And until you get it fixed you will hear dripping noises even when there is none.
Your job when it is not the middle of the night and you have time is to:
- Turn faucets on and off in the bathroom, as well as flushing the toilet, and checking around the showerhead.
- Look for dampness outside the dishwasher, run the faucets in the sink, and check under the sink for wet or dampness on the pipes.
- In the basement look for puddles or damp areas and make sure the pipes or hoses are all connected and free of moisture.
Depending on where you find a leak, you can feel confident fixing it yourself with your tool chest of plumbing tools. (see Plumbing Tools for information) If it is a washer that needs replacing, or a bolt that needs tightening, you have the tools to do it. This is very true if the leak in question is a faucet or showerhead. As with making any plumbing repair, remember to always:
- Do the repair on a weekday because if anything goes wrong, emergency plumbing services are pricey.
- Turn off the water.
- Make sure to have a bucket or towels to mop up water. There will always be more water than anticipated.
Other times, as when leaks or drips occur behind a wall, in a ceiling or attic space, getting to the precise location of the drip can be not only time consuming, but difficult to repair. Calling the professionals at Jersey Plumbing can save you time and aggravation; they have the skills, expertise, and tools to fix the problem correctly. Remember it is not just walls, but electrical lines and outlets, interior pipes, and support beams to consider. Let the professionals do what they do best, so you and your family can sleep through the night without concerning dripping noises.